Iowa men’s gymnastics’ winning-streak comes to an end against Minnesota

The No. 8 Iowa men’s gymnastics team fell to Minnesota on Saturday, 428.750-416.300. The loss marked the end of a three-dual-meet winning streak for the Hawkeyes.

Despite winning four of the six individual events, the Hawkeyes posted their lowest team total of the season.

Senior Javier Balboa won the all-around event for the fourth-consecutive week. The native of Monterrey, Mexico, outperformed the competition with a score of 84.450. Balboa also won the still rings, scoring a 14.850. Anton Gryshayev placed third in the rings with a score of 14.600. The senior’s average score of 15.450 is ranked sixth nationally by GymInfo.

Mitchell Landau scored a 15.000 to earn first place on the parallel bars for the second week in a row. The sophomore’s average score of 14.717 is ranked 13th nationally by GymInfo.

The event marked the first competition for the Hawkeyes under the new NCAA scoring format. For the first half of this season, six gymnasts competed in each event, but only five scores counted toward the team total. Now, five gymnasts compete in each event and every score counts. This rule went into effect March 1.

The Hawkeyes are not scheduled to compete in another event until March 16, when they will travel to Lincoln, Neb., to take on the No. 10 Cornhuskers. The event is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m. in the Devaney Sports Center. Iowa defeated Nebraska, 427.500-425.400, on Feb. 23 in Iowa City.

— by Ryan Probasco