Iowa baseball wins just one in weekend trip to Arkansas

The Iowa baseball team took only one of four games in Little Rock, Ark., this past weekend.

The Hawkeyes dropped their first game against host Arkansas-Little Rock by a 5-2 score on March 1. The squad left 12 runners on base — seven of which were in scoring position. Sophomore Kris Goodman led the Black and Gold with a 3-for-5 performance.

The squad turned things around in their first of two games on March 2 with a 7-3 win over Western Illinois. The win was head coach Jack Dahm’s 500th as a college coach.

“To be honest, I don’t even think about it,” he said in a release. “The wins go to the players; the losses go to the coach. I’m just looking to make this team better and get us even more wins.”

Iowa couldn’t carry the momentum into their next game, against Arkansas-Little Rock, as they dropped their second game to the Trojans, 9-3. Sophomore Taylor Kaufman went 2-for-4. It was his third multi-hit game on the past five games.

“The weather was miserable Saturday,” Dahm said. “I think we were frozen by the second game. Our pitching continues to do well, though. We just need a couple more people to step up on offense and give us some big hits.”

Iowa dropped the final game of the weekend, 5-3, to Wichita State on Sunday. Jake Yacinich and Eric Toole each went 2-for-4 in the loss.

The Hawkeyes will resume play Friday, when the team will play in the Snowbird Classic in Port Charlotte, Fla.

— by Tommy Reinking