Iowa women set four school records at Big Ten swim meet

The Iowa women’s swimming and diving team concluded its season with a 10th-place finish at the Big Ten meet this past weekend. Iowa finished with 113 points.

Although the finish may not be what the Hawkeyes had hoped for, there is still a positive outlook on the four-day tournament. Iowa set four school records, in the 200-medley and 800-freestyle relays, 200 individual medley, and the 200 backstroke.

During the first day of the meet, the quartet of sophomore Heather Arseth, juniors Karolina Wartalowicz and Abbey Tuchscherer, and freshman Olivia Kabacinski broke the school record in the 200-medley relay. The quartet swam to the wall in 1:40.97 for a 10th-place showing and a season-best time.

In the 800 free, sophomore Becky Stoughton, Kabacinski, and juniors Emily Hovren and Lindsay Seemann swam to the school record in 7:14.99, beating the previous mark by nearly four seconds.

In day two, Hovren went out on her own and broke another school record in the 200 individual medley. During Thursday’s “B” final, Hovren swam to the wall in 2:00.42.

On the fourth day, the Haawkeyes continued the record-breaking pace. Seemann reset the school record in the 200 back. She touched the wall in 1:59.00 to finish 16th.

The meet may be over, but that does not mean that the Iowa women are done competing. The Hawks will return to the pool March 11-13, when the three divers (juniors Lauren Kelba and Abby Grilli and redshirt sophomore Joelle Christy) travel to Houston to compete in the NCAA Zone D Diving meet.

The women’s swimming NCAA meet will take place on March 21-23 in Indianapolis.