Woman claims UIHC caused her to choose between her life and her unborn child

A Farmersburg woman filed a lawsuit against the state of Iowa for causing her to choose between her unborn child’s life and her own, according to a court document.

On Sep. 23, 2010, Regina Cross was allegedly referred to the Vulvar and Vaginal Disease Clinic at the UIHC by her family doctor for removal of lesions. According to the lawsuit, Cross was advised that the lesions did not need removal and was given medicine and advice on bath treatments.

Cross allegedly continued treatment at the hospital until Jan. 4, 2011, when it was apparent that the lesions were not going to be removed and that she was not improving.

On March 29, 2011 Cross allegedly made an appointment with the Surgery Center at the Gunderson Lutheran Medical Center in La Crosse, Wis. According to the lawsuit documents, Cross learned days later that she was pregnant and was due to deliver on Oct. 20, 2011.

A skin biopsy on April 26, 2011, reportededly revealed the presence of cancerous cells, and later tests discovered a cancerous tumor. Cross was then allegedly faced with the choice of aborting her child in order to continue treatment or to allow the pregnancy to progress and to defer treatment.

According to the lawsuit, Cross chose not to abort her son and Isaac Zurcher was born on Sep. 8, 2011 by an early, planned C-Section. Cross then underwent cancer treatment.

In Oct. 2012 Cross found out her cancer had spread to her spine and lower back, according to the lawsuit, and she is now terminally ill.

Cross’s lawsuit claims that the state of Iowa is liable for the negligence of the UIHC for their failure to treat her condition in a timely manner and is claiming the hospital showed medical negligence.

Cross is now seeking reparations for damages, including physical and mental pain, loss of full body, and medical expenses. She is also requesting reparations for the damages done to her children, including loss of services, support, and companionship.

Cross is requesting a jury trial.