Printy a finalist for the Senior CLASS Award

Iowa women’s basketball player Jamie Printy has been named a finalist for the 2012-13 Senior CLASS Award. Printy is one of 10 women who will have the chance to hear their name drawn at the NCAA Women’s Final Four in New Orleans April 7 and 9.

The award, which recognizes a student-athlete’s excellence in four areas — community, classroom, character, and competition — was voted upon by media committee from the list of 30 men’s candidates and 30 women’s candidates announced in October.

“It’s actually really cool to be on the list; it just shows that there is more to life than just basketball,” Printy said. “I mean, it’s off the court and having an impact on little girls’ lives and people around the country — it’s a true honor to be on that.”

Printy, who tore her ACL last year, has been a steady voice for people in her community who have suffered similar injuries, something she hopes to help out with as much as she can.

“I definitely have helped a lot of people with injuries since I have been through it; a lot of coaches have emailed me and asked if I could write a little note or words of encouragement for people going through what I’ve been through,” she said.

Off the court, Printy has been named Capital One Academic All-District, is a member of the Dean’s List, and is a two-time Academic All-Big Ten selection. She is also trying to have an effect around Iowa by volunteering with numerous charities, organizations, and local elementary schools.

She was humbled by the announcement that she had been named a finalist.

“It’s great to be at this level and to have so many little girls and some boys look up to you,” Printy said. “To be able to affect their life in a positive way is such a great feeling.”