Wisconsin hands Hawkeyes another close loss, 74-70 in 2 OT

MADISON, Wis. — Ben Brust scored 18 points, including three key free throws in double overtime, as Wisconsin beat Iowa, 74-,70 Wednesday night.

Jared Berggren added 16 points and 14 rebounds for the Badgers (16-7, 7-3 Big Ten), who snapped a three-game losing streak to the Hawkeyes.

Mike Gesell led Iowa (14-9, 3-7) with 14 points, and Aaron White added 13.

Wisconsin, which has shot less than 62 percent from the foul line this season, converted 13 of 14 free throws in the two overtime periods.

After the teams scored just 4 points each in the first overtime and managed only a pair of free throws apiece for the first three minutes of double overtime, Wisconsin took the lead for good, 67-64, on a 3-pointer from Sam Dekker with 1:37 remaining.

Brust then hit 3-of 4-free throws to keep the Badgers ahead 70-66 with 23 seconds to go, and Traevon Jackson added 2 more with 15 seconds left to make it a 6-point lead.

With Wisconsin leading 72-68 in the closing seconds, Berggren stepped out of bounds on the inbounds play, giving the ball back to the Hawkeyes. White scored and was fouled, but he missed the free throw.

Ryan Evans, who shoots 40 percent from the line, grabbed the rebound, was fouled, and converted both attempts to seal the win.

It was another tough setback for Iowa, which has lost six Big Ten games by 9 points or fewer.

The Hawkeyes had a chance to win the game in regulation but missed a 3, while Wisconsin had a shot at the end of the first overtime only to miss back-to-back 3-point attempts.

“We were clicking,” senior guard Eric May told the Hawkeye Radio Network. “We were moving the ball. We were getting rebounds and holding them to one shot. You go through runs like that, and you’ve got to take it from 9 to 11, to 13, to 15.”

In the first OT, White’s leaner from the elbow was off, and Wisconsin grabbed the rebound, managing to call a timeout in the scrum for the ball with 38.3 seconds left.

But Berggren’s 3-point attempt was off. Mike Brusewitz grabbed the loose ball only to miss his 3 as well, and they went to double overtime.

In regulation, Jackson hit a 3 with 21 seconds left for Wisconsin to tie it at 58.

Iowa then held for the last shot, but Josh Oglesby’s contested 3-pointer rimmed out, and Wisconsin secured the rebound to force overtime.

“In this case, I was positive,” Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery said about his postgame message, according to a release. “I told them I’m hurting for them … We were in position to win the game, and I want them to enjoy that and experience that.”