Johnson County Republicans appoint new leader

The Johnson County Republican Party has appointed a new chairwoman.

Debora Thornton was appointed on Monday evening to replace Bob Anderson. Thornton says she will focus on continuing the party’s footprint in the heavily Democratic county.

“… We are the silent majority in the county,” she said. “There are many voters in Johnson County that are concerned about the same issues we are concerned about.”

Thornton said one of her goals would be winning the upcoming special election for the Johnson County Board of Supervisors.

“One party leads to fraud, waste, abuse, and corruption,” she said about string of Democrats on the board.

Anderson said he chose to step down after scheduling conflicts continued to arise with his position on the Iowa Republican Party Central Committee and his work in the 2nd Congressional District.

“I enjoyed my time as Johnson County chairman, and I look forward to staying active to more completely fulfill my responsibilities of representing [the 2nd Congressional] District,” he said.

Thornton said she would also like to continue building on the support the party has received from College Republicans. She said one of her oficials would be specifically assigned to work with the group.

“We love the College Republicans and received great support from them in the election last fall,” she said. “They are a key integral part in this team.”