Iowa women’s swimmers win one of two meets at Northwestern Invitational

The Iowa women’s swimming and diving teams took home the win in one of their two dual meets last weekend at the Northwestern Invitational. Iowa defeated Nebraska, 191-179, and fell to Ohio State, 225.50-135.50.

Sophomore Becky Stoughton set the pace for the Hawkeyes, finishing in the top two on three different events. The Peoria, Ill., native returned to her home state to take home the victory in the 1,650 free, finishing with a time of 16:56.76. Stoughton also finished second in the 200 butterfly (2:03.98) and the 200 free (1:50.94)

Stoughton was the lone Hawkeye to win an event last weekend, however, she didn’t win the meet on her own. Junior Karolina Wartalowicz claimed a second place finish in the 200 breast stroke, reaching the wall in 2:18.07.  Senior Lauren Etalyis, junior Lindsay Seemann, and freshman Olivia Kabacinski each tallied a third place finish of their own. Etalyis took third in the 1,650 free (17:08.55), while Seemann and Kabacinski finished third in the 400 individual medley (4:25.51) and 100 breaststroke (1:04.63) respectively.

Although the Hawkeyes were unable to claim victories against both teams, head coach Marc Long is satisfied with how his team competed against tough Big Ten competition.

One of the most impressive aspects of the women’s victory is the fact that Nebraska beat them in December at the Hawkeye Invitational. Nebraska finished second while Iowa finished in third place.

The women will return to the pool next Friday at 6 p.m. at the Campus Recreation M& Wellness Center against Western Illinois. The meet, which also happens to be Senior Night, will be the last meet to use as preparation for the Big Ten championships.