Democrat Dahms chosen as Johnson County Board of Supervisors candidate

The votes are in, and current Johnson County Democrats head Terry Dahms has been selected to run for the vacant seat on the Johnson County Board of Supervisors.

He received the nomination during a Jan. 31 convention held at Northwest Junior High in Coralville. Of the 113 delegate votes casted, Dahms took 58.

Dahms, who has been the local Democrats’s leader since March 2011, will give up his position to First Vice Chairman Mike Carberry on Thursday.

Carberry, along with Dawn Suter, also sought the position that was made available after Supervisor Sally Stutsman took over the Iowa House District 77 position in November.

“It’s probably best that I step aside and let things go on,” Dahms said about his current Democratic position. “I think any one of us could be a good candidate for supervisor. I feel very fortunate for being selected.”

A special election will be held March 5 to determine who will take over the vacant seat. The last time a vacant position occurred was October 2009, when Supervisor Janelle Rettig was appointed.

Supervisor Rod Sullivan said although he supports the appointment of Dahms, the vote is up to the people of Johnson County.

“I’m a big fan of Terry,” he said. “I think he’s a wonderful guy with a lot of experience in county government. I’m definitely excited. I just hope the public turns out and makes their voices heard.”