Climbing wall still closed indefinitely

The University of Iowa Campus Recreation & Wellness Center has yet to reopen its climbing wall following a UI student’s fall more than two weeks ago.

According to the Rec Center website, the wall is still closed. A Rec Center official had previously confirmed the wall was closed because of the accident.

UI spokesman Tom Moore said an investigation into the incident was ongoing, and the cause of the accident had not yet been determined. Moore also could not say if the university planned to change any policies moving forward.

Spencer Bean, a senior at the university and an experienced rock climber, reportedly fell 30-40 feet from the wall at around 10 p.m. on Nov 8. Bean suffered several injuries, including two crushed vertebrae, and was almost paralyzed.

Bean was rushed to UI Hospitals and Clinics, where he underwent surgery for almost eight hours.

Since then, he has been on the road to recovery, according to a website — checkonspencer.wordpress.com — set up for updates on Spencer’s condition.

The website has reportedly drawn more than 6,000 visitors from 30 countries since its creation.

— by Nick Hassett

Editor’s Note:

Due to a source’s error, a previous version of this story said the climbing wall would reopen on Monday.