Bianchini: Consider speed dating

Television dating shows air almost every other hour on MTV, celebrity couple names are created quicker than you can say Brangelina, and dating website advertisements such as eHarmony are scattered across the Internet. As if you didn’t feel single already, these friendly reminders are enough to make you feel forever alone.

And honestly, where are college students supposed to meet any eligible bachelors or bachelorettes?

The bars are halfway filled with creepy individuals trying to find the sneakiest way to dance with someone without asking their permission, and there’s really no time to squeeze in a “get to know you” conversation in the middle of a crowded lecture.

So there’s only one simple solution: College students should consider speed dating.

Ninety-five percent of men and 80 percent of women report a positive experience at speed dating, according to speed-dating company New York EasyDates. And of the selections that are made, 70 percent of men and 90 percent of women will get matches.

Speed dating is a group of singles in a given age group who meet at an event and have at least 10 different conversations for three to six minutes apiece.

What could possibly be better? The benefits of this are incredible.

Think about it: If the other person is a dud, the date’s almost over. There’s no lingering uncomfortable air or drunken person who can’t take a hint and doesn’t want to leave. People have to move on when the bell rings.

And as for awkward pauses, they’re virtually nonexistent. By the time you get out your name, major and hometown, the date’s halfway over, and you don’t have to worry about keeping the conversation going.

Sure, the idea of speed dating as a college student seems a little far-fetched. It might feel more like an interview than a date, and the environment might seem uncomfortable, but it’s something new and exciting.

And if it doesn’t go the way you plan, then you can always ditch the event, hit up the Union, find your knight in shining armor on the dance floor, and live happily ever after.