YouTube-famous duo returns to Iowa City

How does one become a national music phenomenon? Youtube, of course. Just ask the dynamic duo of Cal and Rez, who make up the band of Timefiles, which will perform in the IMU on Oct. 14.

Joining forces in 2010, the guys met in college and made a connection. That same year, they rose to Internet fame when they began putting videos on YouTube of their studio time, showcasing some things they were working on and displaying their talent. Fans across the nation now often refer to Tuesdays as "Timeflies Tuesdays," because the two release a YouTube video on that day every week.

One of the weekly videos was made on their way to Iowa City before they performed at the Blue Moose in Feburary. They’re coming back, and this time they’re taking on the SCOPE stage in the IMU Main Lounge at 8 p.m. Tickets are $16 for students, $21 for the general public.

Jordan Aitchison, who is now a freshman at the University of Northern Iowa, attended the show last winter and is a loyal Timeflies fan.

"The reason I like them is because Cal and Rez’s music is different from everyone else’s," she said. "Cal uses other composers’ music but sings it in his own little way and raps with it too."

Jordan was originally introduced to Cal and Rez by her boyfriend, who attends the University of Iowa and took her to the show for her birthday. She said she couldn’t have gotten a better present that year and told the DI that the group’s music isn’t just for one specific type of person.

"The concert is a great way to meet new people," she said. "There were so many people there. I just wished the building was a little bigger so I could see more."

Some fans wonder if Timeflies be able to out-do itself. Many who have followed the group since its YouTube video "Under the Sea" went viral are anxious to see what the two will showcase next. 

The video — which has had more than 2 million views — opens with Rez performing the popular "Under the Sea" melody from the Little Mermaid and continues with Cal free-styling lyrics over the beat.

Not only loyal fans are excited about the show — for instance, roommates Kaitlyn Chizek and Lauren Carlson are buzzing with excitement about this weekend. The two UI freshmen were recently introduced to Timeflies by friends on campus.

Both women said they were drawn to how different the music of Timeflies is.

"They take songs you know and make them better," Chizek said. "Their music is comparable because they do a lot of songs I like to begin with, but do them in a whole new way that I have never heard before."

"They are great to me because of their variety," Carlson said. She said one of her favorites is the recent video "Taylor," which featured a mash-up of Taylor Swift songs, and she noted that it was drastically different from some of the previous videos such as "Carry On My Wayward Son," which is a freestyle rap Cal did by pulling topics out of a hat written by his friends.

The roommates were quick to admit that Timeflies "is addicting."

"It’s better than homework," Chizek said.

SCOPE public-relations director Mackenzie Sheehy said she didn’t see Timeflies last time it was in Iowa City, and she is excited to see the group perform.

"We knew they were going to be on tour and thought it would be a great high-energy, fun show to bring to campus," she said. "They are an ideal act to bring to Iowa City and a perfect fit for the Main Lounge."

Timeflies

When: 8 p.m. Oct. 14 (Doors open at 7 p.m.)