Second man charged in May 9 KFC burglary

Another man was charged Sept. 20 in conjunction with a May 9 burglary at Kentucky Fried Chicken, 130 Highway 1 W.

According to a series of complaints by Iowa City police, Manuel Hernandez, 18, was charged after officers connected a May 8 Walmart surveillance video showing Hernandez allegedly stealing a pair of black batting gloves with another subject to surveillance footage from KFC showing Hernandez wearing the same clothing and the black batting gloves while committing the alleged burglary.

The complaints said Hernandez and another man broke the glass front door of the KFC and then kicked in a locked office door to steal a combination safe and its contents. Property damage from the burglary was estimated at $2,200, according to the complaint. The safe and its contents were valued at approximately $900.

According to the complaints, Hernandez and the other subject returned to the area of Hernandez’s home and broke open the safe, which they then discarded near the railroad tracks. The safe was recovered near the tracks, the complaint said. 

Hernandez was charged with second-degree criminal mischief and third-degree burglary, both Class-D felonies, and third-degree theft, an aggravated misdemeanor.