Iowa to follow student-athlete Code of Conduct for Hyde, Clark, Hamilton arrests

Iowa football coach Kirk Ferentz said in a statement on Oct. 6 that the team will follow the UI student-athlete Code of Conduct regarding senior captain Micah Hyde’s arrest early on the morning of Oct. 6.

Hyde, a starting cornerback for the Hawkeyes, was arrested at 1:43 a.m. and charged with public intoxication and interference with official acts. The 21-year-old, according to a police complaint, was one of a group of people arguing with staff and refusing to leave Old Capital Brew Works, 525 S. Gilbert St.

The bar’s staff indicated to police that Hyde was one of the subjects involved in the incident. When officers flashed a light and asked him to stop, Hyde allegedly attempted to run. After two blocks of pursuit, officers apprehended him and took Hyde into custody. The Fostoria, Ohio, native refused a post-arrest breath test and told police he had drank a “vodka-Sprite, a shot, and a Bud Light” earlier in the night.

He was released on bond from Johnson County Jail later that morning.

Junior offensive lineman Drew Clark was also charged with public intoxication during the Hawkeyes’ bye weekend, and sophomore tight end Ray Hamilton was ticketed for underage presence in a bar after hours.

All the charges on Hyde, Clark and Hamilton would be considered Category II misconduct under the student-athlete code, meaning they were violations of criminal law but not felonies. According to the Code of Conduct, “The director of athletics shall determine the appropriate sanction after consulting with the student-athlete’s head Coach and assigned sport administrator.”

The Hawkeyes have not announced any sanctions on Hyde, Clark, or Hamilton. It would be the “first strike” for all three; Ferentz said they had all been “good citizens” so far in their careers.