Former Iowa baseball star named MLB manager in Houston

Former Iowa athlete Bo Porter, who was a member of the football and baseball teams from 1990-1994 has been named the manager of the Houston Astros, the MLB team announced on Thursday.

Porter has an experienced résumé in the major leagues — he spent two seasons working with the Washington Nationals and previously worked with the Florida Marlins and Arizona Diamondbacks. He has experience as a minor-league manager and has also coached in outfield and base running positions.

“He has seen different styles, worked under different managers, and learned a lot from him,” Astro general manager Jeff Luhnow said in a release. “His style is probably his biggest asset … He’s a natural-born leader, very charismatic … He’s a motivational speaker but not to the extent where you hear it five times then it wanes. He’s able to connect individually and with groups and is able to get the most out of people.”

Porter was a defensive back and outfielder during his tenure as a Hawkeye. He served as Iowa’s starting center fielder, hitting .318 with 33 RBIs. Porter racked up 8 doubles, 4 homers, and 9 stolen bases in 1993.

The Hawkeye was selected in the 40th round of 1993 draft by the Chicago Cubs. He débuted in the big league sin 1999 with Chicago and also played for the Oakland Athletics and Texas Rangers for a season.