Iowa’s Lacasse, Catrel both score fifth goals on the season

Make it a perfect 10 for the Iowa women’s soccer team.

Forwards junior Ashley Catrell and sophomore Cloe Lacasse each scored their fifth goals of the season and the Hawkeyes overpowered Northern Iowa, 3-0, at the Cedar Valley Youth Soccer Complex in Waterloo on Sunday.

The victory improved Iowa’s record to 10-0 all-time against their rivals to the north, the last six each a shutout. The win also pushed the current Hawkeyes to 4-0 on a season in which they have yet to allow a goal.

Iowa head coach Ron Rainey was happy the Hawkeyes carried on their dominance against the Panthers but said that by no means were they overlooking their opponents, even though history was on their side.

“Northern Iowa has gotten better over the past few years and they’re going to beat some teams,” Rainey said. “They’ve earned our respect.”

Rainey was looking for a much cleaner effort from his team this weekend and he received that in a pair of dominant performances including a 4-0 win over Loyola-Chicago on Aug. 24. He said that Sunday was the culmination of what his team had worked on throughout the past week.

“There were good things throughout, but in the second half in particular I thought we did a better job of not just challenging the first ball, but trying to win the second one as well,” Rainey said. “That allowed us to keep sustained pressure on Northern Iowa and keep them in their half of the field.”

Lacasse hit the game-winner with a shot from inside the 18-yard box in the 33rd minute and later assisted on Catrell’s goal in the 50th minute. The Sudbury, Ontario, Canada, native, who shows no signs of slowing down following a successfull freshman campaign, she said getting through the first road test is always stressful, especially against a rival.

“Playing away for the first time is tough because you don’t have that support you get at home,” she said. “It was a good win because UNI came in undefeated< and it was the first Iowa rivalry we’ve had this season.”

Catrell had 5 goals over 28 games entering 2012, and she has now equaled that output in four games this season. She’s scored 3 goals in her last two games and credited her underclassmen linemate with some of her success.

“I guess I’m just on a streak,” Catrell said. “Cloe has been doing well winning the end-line and passing the ball back for me to finish.”

The other important thing for Iowa thus far has been the ability to rest its starters during the latter part of games, something that Rainey said could be crucial down the road.

“For sure it’s good to share minutes because the season gets long and you play a ton of games,” Rainey said. “But it also allows us to see different combinations on the field and different people to step in to try and keep our level high.”

Rainey has sensed that his team has entered each contest this season with not only confidence in themselves, but also respect for their opponents.

“We’ve been mentally ready to play most of these games so far and what we’re trying to do is lead into becoming better and better,” Rainey said. “Our kids have respect for UNI and it showed with how we came out and played today.”