Book Review: Love in the time of delirium

Are you a Hunger Games fan? A Pinterest junkie? Well, then you may have come across the “pin” of the “25 Series to Read if you Love the Hunger Games.”

This list has exploded on the Internet, and bookstores are now rushing to fill mass orders of these once-obscure series. One that has gained a following — at least here in the Midwest — and can be found on Walmart shelves is Lauren Oliver’s series, Delirium.

True to Hunger Games, the story takes place in a futuristic form of what was once the United States. The government has full control of the people and instills in them one overall terrible fear: a disease so deadly that it can destroy and has — according to government-issued textbooks — destroyed towns, cities, and even countries.

The disease is known as amor deliria nervosa. Love. Could we live in a world without love? I personally don’t believe so, especially after reading this series. Love is a universal concept, and the thought of losing it devastating.

This book will capture you in the very first paragraph and will keep you hanging on. The series follows the adventures of Lena, a teenage girl who is ready and willing to receive her “cure,” which is issued to citizens upon the arrival of their 18th birthday to cure them of the dreadful love disease.

Lives are planned and marriage matches made without much resistance, especially in Lena’s community of Portland, Maine. But as Lena and her friends approach graduation and, soon, their new lives, they discover that there is more going on behind the scenes than they had ever thought possible.

Do the rebels known as the “Invalids” really exist? Is there a resistance? And is there a better life than the one being forced upon them? Lena’s new friend Alex seems to hold some answers to these questions along with a lot of secrets. But with Lena’s cure procedure fast approaching, can she discover all that she needs to in order to realize the truth?

Lena’s journey and her character will resonate with anyone, especially teenage girls such as me. The characters in the book are written and described so well that they come to life on the page, and the story, as futuristic as it is, will have your brain on overdrive, trying to fathom the possibility that love may not exist.

Read Delirium in stores or online now, and Pandemonium, the second book in Oliver’s three-part series, today. It will be worth your time to get lost in the world of Delrium as I did, and if you love reading as much as I do, you’ll be in a daze when you pull your eyes off the final page.

You may even end up looking around to make sure people do not have the triangle “cure” scar on their necks.

If you love reading and the Hunger Games, you won’t regret picking this one up.

And to see what is on the rest of the 25 list, type in “25 Series to Read if You Love the Hunger Games into your Pinterest or Google search bars.

It will become one of your favorite searches.

Delirium