Pottebaum: Three exciting initiatives from UISG

As the University of Iowa Student Government president, I am excited about the start of the semester. Since assuming office, Vice President Jessie Tobin and I have worked tirelessly to accomplish our goals. In honor of the new school year, here are a few of the many initiatives in place that I would like to highlight the textbook tax rebate, ChalkTalk, and our get-out-the-vote campaign.

Textbooks are an essential item for all college students. This fall, UISG will launch an initiative to increase students’ awareness of the sales-tax rebate for textbooks purchased at the University Bookstore. On any given textbook, the amount saved may be small, but in your eight semesters at Iowa, you could save hundreds of dollars through the rebate. It is very a simple process to receive the 7 percent rebate.

First, keep your receipt from the University Bookstore. Then, visit our office (260B IMU), our website (uisg.uiowa.edu), or stop by our booth at the Student Organization Fair on Wednesday in Hubbard Park.

We will assist you with the rebate form and provide an addressed envelope. The form and a step-by-step guide on how to fill out the rebate form is located on our website.

Student government is committed to improving student organization outreach. This past June, we reintroduced ChalkTalk to the IMU, a popular promotional tool that existed before the flood.

ChalkTalk is a chalkboard located in the IMU River Room entrance. This is an innovative way for student organizations to post upcoming events and information. Student organizations don’t have to fill out a form or seek approval to post on the chalkboard. ChalkTalk removes the barriers for student organization to get the word out. Check it out, get creative, and inform others.

UISG’s get-out-the-vote efforts began this past weekend at the OnIowa Engage Fair. In just a couple hours, we registered nearly 200 students to vote. Because Iowa is a swing state, and the youth vote has the opportunity to affect the outcome of this election, it is more important than ever that you register to vote.

If you are not registered to vote in Iowa, register to vote by visiting the Iowa secretary of State’s website (sos.iowa.gov). In Iowa, you have 41 days to vote starting Sept. 27 by absentee ballot.

Our work does not stop with just these three initiatives. Most importantly, our door is always open to hearing your ideas and concerns. Email us, tweet at us (@UISG), or visit our office. We are always here to inform, improve, and affect your daily life on campus.

As you begin your semester, make sure to save your textbook receipt, check out ChalkTalk, and register to vote.

On Iowa! Go Hawks!