Evans: While you were away

Hey, kiddos. Welcome back — I hope your respective summers were swinging with sultry circumstances.

Too much alliteration? Fair enough, my fine fiends, but don’t turn the page just yet. There were a few things you missed while you were away.

First off, Regent Bruce Rastetter got stomped on pretty hard by the Iowa Citizens for Community Improvement after the group filed an ethical complaint with the Iowa Ethics and Campaign Disclosure Board on June 19, alleging he abused his role as a regent.

How so? By negotiating a deal involving his company Agrisol and Iowa State University in Tanzania concerning agricultural growth in the African region.

It’s fair to tell you Rastetter sat down with *Daily Iowan* reporters earlier last month to address the accusations against him, and this correspondent thinks the citizens’ group is looking a little too hard for attention. 

But, people are still calling for the regent’s resignation.

Another interesting thing you missed while you were away is the construction. Yes, the University of Iowa is building a new residence hall west of the river near Hillcrest.

It’s fantastic because, you know, the last dorm was built in 1968, and there are a massive number of freshmen strolling around the sidewalks.

It’ll just be a little annoying for the residents of Slater, Quadrangle, and Hillcrest looking to sleep all day after night spent drinking far too much alcohol because the construction will continue through out the fall semester, as reported by The Daily Iowan.

Speaking of alcohol, UI renewed its contract with Anheuser-Busch over the summer break.

Didn’t know it had a contract with the alcohol distributers? You remember the fan cans, right? The Bud Light ones with the black and gold colors that the UI administration got a little ticked off about.

The Tigerhawk logo can now share space with Anheuser-Busch logos such as Bud Light, Busch, and Natural Light (pick your favorite) as long as the phrase “Responsibility Matters” is also present.

And the university gets around $114 million through 2026. Don’t worry, though, UI isn’t selling its soul to the makers of Bud heavy — Busch officials will provide $43,000 for the UI’s Alcohol-Harm-Reduction Plan in the first year of the contract.

No hypocrisy here.

So as you spend your first days on campus, enjoy yourself, and don’t forget to read up on the things that happened while you were away.