Three Hawkeyes swim at Olympic Trials

Three Iowa swimmers competed in the U.S. Olympic trials on Monday, but none qualified for the 2012 London team.

Tyler Lentz finished 67th in the men’s 400 individual medley with a time of 4:30.79. Six-time Olympic medalist Ryan Lochte took first in the event with a time of 4:10.66, followed by 16-time medalist Michael Phelps in 4:14.72.

Andrew Marcianiak and Korey Schneider both competed in the men’s 100 breaststroke. Marcianiak finished 82nd (104.45) and Schneider took 116th (1:05.36). Only one hundredth of a second separated the first two finishers — John Criste, a Stanford grad, placed first in 1:00.29, and four-time medalist Brendan Hansen took second with a final time of 1:00.30.

All three swimmers who competed in the trials on Monday will return to the Hawkeyes in the fall, which head coach Marc Long thinks will greatly benefit the Hawkeyes.

"This meet is just a great experience for them," he said. "It will all carry over into our next college season — it’s going to help our program.

Six Hawkeyes will compete in day two of the trials today: Daniela Cubelic in the women’s 100 backstroke, Paul Gordon and Jordan Huff in the men’s 200 freestyle, and Grant Bertulius, Byron Butler, and Dustin Rhodes in the men’s 100 backstroke.

— by Molly Irene Olmstead