Logic, Dolittle, Johnson, Nesbitt go first

No. 1 — Sam Logic

Logic, a sophomore-to-be at Iowa, finished out her freshman year with an average of 9.4 points per game and a .418 field goal percentage. Logic started in all 30 games on the season, playing well at guard, but also showing a strong aptitude for defense.

"Sam can play multiple positions," said head coach Brendan Unkrich, who selected Logic.

"Hopefully she can guard multiple positions, too. I’m confident, though."

Logic saw the most playing time of any Hawkeye freshman, clocking in 874 minutes on the season and averaging 29.1 minutes per game.

No. 2 — Bethany Doolittle

Doolittle finished out her freshman year as a strong Iowa center, scoring only 3.7 points per game, but tallied the second-most blocks out of all the Hawkeyes, behind starting center Morgan Johnson.

Dolittle’s role became important for the Black and Gold when Johnson suffered knee injuries, and the 6-4 center started seeing more minutes toward the end of the year. She played 335 minutes overall, averaging 11.8 per game.

Doolittle is strong on defense, head coach Joe Johnston said, which can compliment his "pressure defense" perfectly.

"Doolittle is a coming thing and she’s going to be a star before she leaves Iowa," Johnston said. "She’s athletic, too. That’s a big reason why I picked her as my first."

No. 3 — Morgan Johnson

Johnson, a senior-to-be, started as Iowa’s center for the majority of the season, but was hindered by knee injuries toward the end of the schedule.

Even so, the 6-5 player averaged 14.9 points per game and lead the team with 68 blocks on the season and a .546 field goal percentage.

Johnson’s playing time more-than doubles Doolittle’s from the 2012 season.

Johnson will have to sit out the first game on June 20, and then is restricted to 10 minutes for the second game. Her allowed playing time will increase in five-minute increments each game from there.

But head coach Randy Larson isn’t daunted by her injury.

"Morgan got that tendentious, the pains in her knees, and any time she fell down she was almost brought to tears and had to come out of the game. Every time, you thought it might be the end of her career, but she persevered and stuck with it."

Johnson said that Johnson’s ability to talk on the court will be a huge asset to his otherwise young team.

No. 4 Trisha Nesbitt

Nesbitt finished out her junior year with only 5 points on the season after playing only 47 minutes.

But her Division-1 point guard experience is what lured head coach Mike Stoemer to chose her as his first round pick.

"I went into this draft thinking that I was going to try to get a point guard. She has the experience in a tough division."

Nesbitt’s best season was her freshman year in 2009-2010, however. She racked up a .294 field goal percentage, compared to her 2012 .125 percentage. The point guard played in all 34 games played during her freshman year, but only made it into 14 as a junior this past season.