Prime Time tryouts bring out Woodbury’s old teammate

Adam Woodbury didn’t have to show up for Prime Time tryouts Sunday night in the Field House because he’s an Iowa player; the tryouts were for non-Division One athletes.

But Woodbury’s high-school teammate JC Fuller that he’s a force to be reckoned with.

The Prime Time tryouts went well, and 28 players showed in hopes of getting drafted to one of the four teams on Wednesday. Fuller, an incoming freshman at Kirkwood, was one of those hopefuls. The air was thick with humidity as the players were split into four teams and told to scrimmage. Whichever team got 15 points first won. After half the players shed their shirts, competition started.

"I noticed that there was a good number of players when I walked in," Fuller said. "I knew I had to bring my A game."

Fuller kept up with — if not passed — the field on the floor, despite being an incoming freshman competing against several more experienced players. Hustling up and down the court and feeding his teammates assists were just the side dishes to his scoring ability.

At one point, Fuller fought for his own rebound not one, not two, but three times before it finally went in.

The coaches frequently nodded approval from the sidelines.

"Who’s going to talk on offense and defense? Who’s going to rebound on every trip? Who’s not going to [complain] when he doesn’t play as much as he thinks eh should?" said Randy Larson, a Prime Time coach and the league commissioner. "That’s the guy we want to draft."

Despite being well-received at the tryout, Fuller knows getting drafted isn’t an automatic like it is for Woodbury.

"I know that they cut two teams this year," Fuller said. "I just wanted to show them other things other than my offensive game. I wanted to play defense, talk, and run the floor."

Woodbury and Fuller played three years together on the varsity at Sioux City East. Fuller averaged 18 points a game his senior year, and the team was undefeated at home. He also joined Woodbury on the 4A All Tournament Team, even thought the team fell at the state championship.

Fuller’s senior year, he had a few Division II offers, but he decided on Kirkwood so he can focus on getting to the next level — Division I.

Fuller and Woodbury have talked about being at schools close together, and they hope that they are able to play some games in their spare time, as they used too.

The pair has remained close since leaving Sioux City. Woodbury was recently cut from the U.S. national team, and Fuller could feel his pain.

"I know he was really looking forward to playing with them," Fuller said. "I haven’t talked to him, but I know he’ll keep his head up and keep working hard. He is a great player."

Fuller looks forward to playing on the same team as Woodbury if he is fortunate enough to get drafted.

"I wouldn’t mind it," he said. "He does everything; rebound, score, alters a lot of shots, plays defense. I think we would have pretty good chemistry since we’ve been playing together since the eighth grade."

If not on the same team?

"I’m sure it will get pretty competitive out there," Fuller said. "We both like to win."