Tyrone Wells plays the Mill

Folk-pop singer/songwriter Tyrone Wells wrote more than 80 songs for his latest album, Where We Meet, which was released on March 6.

The Washington-born singer will perform at 8 p.m. on Saturday at the Mill, 120 E. Burlington St. Admission is $12 in advance, $15 on Saturday. British singer/songwriter Joe Brooks will open.

"I did a lot of collaboration on this record," Wells said. "I love to cowrite. It’s just like anything else, when two or three heads think together, the product will be better than what one person could come up with."

Wells’ album, Where We Meet, hit the No. 1 spot on iTunes singer/songwriter charts. The album is Well’s second since parting ways with Universal, his old record label.

"I think some artists are really afraid of being independent," he said. "Actually, I feel more comfortable being independent and not having to worry about some suits in a room or some person’s marketing campaign idea. I like to think about making music and not stressing. I like not even stressing about the whole business aspect of it. It takes some of the life and enjoyment out of making the music."

While Wells may like to avoid the business side of the music industry, he takes his job seriously, and he is known for his work ethic.

"We have been supporting Tyrone’s shows at the Mill for a couple of years now," said Andre Perry of the Mill. "His team is great to work with, and it has been nice to watch his getting better and bigger with each new album. We expect it to be a quality show of the highest professional level. Tyrone takes his music very seriously and always puts on a top-notch show."

Wells’s current tour runs from the end of March to the end of this month and will encompass 33 shows across the nation. With that dizzying schedule, he still makes a strong effort to connect with his audiences.

"My shows tend to be kind of personal," he said. "I’ll share some stories from my life experience and stuff. So people walk away feeling that it was a very personal show, and I like that about what we do. I think as a singer/songwriter, you have that luxury more than if you’re just a rock band."

Wells has fond memories of performing at the Mill in the past.

"We always pack the Mill," he said. "It’s always a great crowd. I know it’s a little room, but it’s always got great energy in there. A lot of people say my music becomes the soundtrack to their life, which I totally love. So who knows, if people come out, maybe their life will have a new soundtrack."