Don’t act surprised about Obama

President Obama announced Wednesday in an interview with ABC’s Robin Roberts that he supports gay marriage, marking him as the first president in history to announce support on this issue.

Oh, please. Don’t act like you are surprised. If I hear one more person exclaim in a bright-eyed mess about how much courage this took, I will puke. Seriously, I will yak all over the place.

I will also spew if anyone else shouts in outrage at the declaration of war against the traditional family.

As if you are surprised, you metaphorical liberal communist or conservative facist: As if you are seriously surprised at this glorious announcement — it so changes my view of Obama’s politics; it so came out of left field.

I mean, it’s not as if he repealed Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell; it’s not as if the Department of Justice has stopped defending the constitutionality of the Defense of Marriage Act; it’s not as though he was elected on a Democratic ticket.

And please, good sir and good miss, do not act like this is the end of the debate: As if the great and mighty, ethical god that is Obama declared same-sex marriage OK, giving the thumbs up in a sit-down interview, and hence forth the issue will be moot to anyone who wants to argue the merits of a man-woman marriage.

That really worked out for abortion, now didn’t it? The Supreme Court, the only perceivable ethical body in our government, decided that issue back in 1973 and look at us now, 30 years later, still doing hand-to-hand combat on "Meet the Press" about the semantical definition of life.

And bravery? Really, guys?

Bravery is the men and women in uniform who also happen to be homosexual, bisexual, transsexual, pansexual, or whatever-sexual and take bullets in defense of a nation, so that its president can go on television and say he supports rights they should have had in the first place.

Or how about the men and women who go through pain, both physically and mentally, struggling with their identities? They get up in the morning — that’s bravery. And Obama gets kudos for taking a kinda, possible, maybe political stand in an election year?

That was extremely brave and courageous, Mr. President. Would you like a cookie?

That is all it was: a political maneuver to get votes.

OK, Obama super-staffer, call me a skeptic and tell me the president is acting firmly on his moral principles. I would totally agree, you know, until I remembered that Vice President Joseph Biden floated the opinion on Sunday’s "Meet the Press," saying that he was personally comfortable with same-sex marriage. That nugget was followed by the same opinion from Education Secretary Arne Duncan the next day.

I bet you got some fantastic poll numbers off of those floaters to tell you exactly how firm your moral principles should be, Mr. President.

It’s business as usual.

So, if you act like you are surprised or outraged, or say that this was a courageous announcement, cover your face or grab a doggie bag: The puke is coming at you.