You’re welcome

Jordan Ramos’ story — which makes the claim that she wasn’t allowed to dance on one of Union’s platforms because of her size on two occasions — has been broadcast by national media outlets including Yahoo, the Huffington Post, and the UK’s Daily Mail, in addition to ABC.

Since then, a Facebook campaign has started up to picket Union during its peak weekend hours today — the Friday before finals week, where attendance at Union will likely be less than normal, nonetheless.

It’s no secret whom the Union sees as its target market: students who like to get freaky on a strobe-lit dance floor while blacking out to the trances of some DJ from California, which instantly makes him famous for some reason.

I can see why Ramos would be upset that she was told to return the dance floor — it’s likely she wanted to escape that breeding ground of bad decisions (literally — don’t act as if you haven’t heard the stories), but beyond that reason, this whole thing baffles me.

There’s the age-old saying that the customer is always right. Well, if you have ever worked a job that requires you to interact with customers on a personal level you would know the customer is wrong. A lot. And in the case of Ramos, she couldn’t be making a bigger mountain of the sweaty, smelly, and sticky molehill that is the Union.

Think about how many times this happens in New York City or Chicago or Los Angeles or Miami or London or Barcelona or every other major city on the planet that has a bumping nightlife. People that aren’t the best looking are often denied from even entering a nightclub. Where’s their Facebook campaign?

I can’t help but think of the scene from Knocked Up in which two women are denied entrance to a nightclub because one is pregnant and the other is too old. The doorman says it’s not up to him who gets in and who doesn’t, even saying that he can only let in a limited number of black people. Such discrimination is illegal; weight discrimination is not.

From one plus-sized individual to another, I can tell you that certain establishments do this for a reason: Nobody wants to see my sweaty love handles grooving near them on the dance floor, and I respect that wish. You’re welcome, everyone.

Ramos also isn’t taking into account that the Union is a private establishment. Now, I haven’t been to that freshman paradise on a weekend since my first semester here, but I’ll bet that somewhere in that bar there’s a sign that reads something along the lines of; "The Union reserves the right to refuse service to any individual, etc."

So that’s the bar’s argument right there. It has the right to deny or provide subpar service, and you have the right to not go to Union. So, uh, don’t.

I don’t even see how one can try to make a case for Union at this point. I don’t see this event as weight discrimination, I see it as someone not being allowed to dance because nobody wants you to dance. If it was karaoke night at Sam’s Pizza, people get booed for being awful at singing. So is that voice discrimination then? Let’s boycott Sam’s for not allowing the blacked-out couple to finish their ear-bleeding rendition of "Call Me Maybe" (I’m afraid I planted another idea in Ramos’ head after that one).

I’ve already seen more coverage on this than I have seen on a real policy that could actually be classified as weight discrimination. How is this any different from airlines forcing obese patrons to purchase an extra seat if they can’t fit in one? The airlines do that as a courtesy to the majority of its customers, the same way I’m doing everyone a courtesy by leaving a shirt on at the beach.

You’re welcome, everyone.