Cardwell sets record as Iowa women’s golf falls to second

The Iowa women’s golf team dropped one position on the leaderboard on Tuesday at the Wyoming Cowgirl Classic with a 13-over second round. The 18-hole 301 came after Iowa’s second-lowest score in program history, a 289, on Monday.

The Hawkeyes now trail leader Colorado State (584, 8 over) by 6 strokes. Iowa’s two-round score of 590 is the fourth-lowest in school history.

Kristi Cardwell — the lone Hawkeye under par — finished the round in record-breaking fashion. The junior carded 5 birdies on the front nine en route to a 2-under 70; she is 6-under for the tournament.

Her 36-hole 138 broke teammate Chelsea Harris’ previous mark of 140, which she set at the Challenge at Onion Creek in 2009. Cardwell’s previous low score, a 143, was set in 2010 at the same tournament.

Cardwell finished in second place behind Colorado State’s Brianna Espinoza (136, 8-under).

Head coach Megan Menzel was upbeat on Tuesday.

"As a team, we struggled on the back nine and had too many big numbers," she said in a release. "I hope we find a way to bring better focus for the whole round tomorrow. If we do, I feel like we have a great chance at winning the tournament."

The Hawkeyes combined for 13 bogeys, 2 double-bogeys, and a triple on the back nine. In that same stretch, the team made only 2 birdies.

Three Iowa golfers shot 77s on Tuesday: Freshmen Shelby Phillips and Lauren English sit tied for 22nd and 31st, respectively. Senior Chelsea Harris finished tied for 47th at 9-over.

Sophomore Kelly Grouwinkel rounded out Iowa’s scorecard with a 9-over 81 on Tuesday. The Illinois native set a career-best 36-hole score with a 11-over 155. She finished tied for 59th.

Iowa wraps up competition at the Ocotillo Golf Course today starting at 8:30 a.m.

— by Alex French