Four Hawkeyes work out at NFL combine

Four former members of the Iowa football team participated in the annual NFL scouting combine in Indianapolis over the weekend. Three more will perform drills in front of league scouts today and Tuesday.

Guard Adam Gettis ran the third-fastest official 40-yard dash of any offensive lineman at the combine, crossing the line in 5.00 seconds. He was behind only Oklahoma’s Donald Stephenson (4.94) and USC standout Matt Kalil (4.99); his unofficial time of 4.91 seconds would have beaten them both. He’s expected to be taken somewhere between the fourth and seventh rounds of April’s NFL draft.

Riley Reiff turned in a 5.23-second 40-yard dash, the eighth-fastest of the offensive linemen. The projected first-round pick was a top-20 finisher in the 225-pound bench press, as well; he cranked out 23 repetitions, well behind top lifter David Molk of Michigan (41) but still ahead of half the field.

Former teammate Markus Zusevics had less luck on the bench. The two-year starter tore his left pectoral muscle while performing the exercise, and the NFL Network reported he’ll need surgery to repair the damage. He had been expected to be taken in the later rounds of the draft before the injury.

School record-setting wideout Marvin McNutt’s 4.54-second 40 time was good enough for a top-20 spot among wide receivers, but his 20-yard shuttle was even better. He completed the exercise — which measures lateral quickness and acceleration — in 4.07 seconds, the fifth-best mark of any wide receiver and ninth-best overall through the first two days of the combine.

McNutt also excelled in the broad and vertical jumps. His vertical was measured at 37.0 inches, and his broad jump measured out at 122 inches (just over 10 feet). NFL.com projected the St. Louis native as a fourth- through seventh-round pick.

Defensive players Mike Daniels and Tyler Nielsen will work out today; defensive back Shaun Prater will run his drills on Tuesday. All three are expected to be picked on the final day of the draft, between the fourth and seventh rounds.