Iowa field hockey inks six recruits

The Iowa field hockey team signed six prep players on Wednesday, head coach Tracey Griesbaum said in a release.

Alana Barry is a goalkeeper from Voorhees, N.J., and a former high-school teammate of current Hawkeyes Geena Lesiak, Kelsey Mitchell, and Corinne Allen. She helped Eastern High win its 13th state title in a row during her senior year and posted 75 career shutouts, the national high-school record.

Natalie Cafone is a forward from Fairfield, N.J. and the reigning New Jersey State Player of the Year. She holds West Essex High’s record for career points (350, coming on 135 goals and 80 assists).

Anna Haley, a midfielder from Annapolis, Md., was a junior Olympic Bronze Medalist while playing for Broadneck High.

Liz Leh is a midfielder hailing from East Stroudsburg, Pa.; she led Stroudsburg High to conference titles in 2008 and 2011.

Isabella Licciardello, a midfielder from Fredericksburg, Va., was called up to her high-school varsity team while still in seventh grade; she led Riverbend High in eighth grade with 35 goals and 16 assists, and earned first-team all-state honors.

Marisa Miro is a midfielder from Tamiment, Pa. She was a three-year USA Futures Participant, two-time conference all-star, and holds school records for single season and career assists.

"What a great class of Hawkeyes — I’m thrilled to have these six wonderful young women join our hockey family," Griesbaum said in the release. "Their addition to the program will be felt immediately."

— by Seth Roberts