Hawkeye volleyball drops two

The Iowa volleyball team fell to No. 14 Minnesota and Wisconsin this weekend. The Hawkeyes (11-10, 1-7) have lost seven of their last eight games, winning four of their last 27 sets.

Minnesota defeated Iowa on Oct. 14, 3-0 (16-25, 14-25, 15-25), in a match that lasted one hour and 15 minutes.

The Hawkeyes tallied only 22 kills, led by sophomore outside hitter Rachel Bedell’s six. Iowa recorded a .000 team hitting percentage, and four different attackers hit in the negative.

The Hawkeyes challenged Wisconsin after a day’s rest, but lost again in straight sets on Sunday, (16-25, 22-25, 21-25).

Iowa improved in kills, though, and finished with 36. Senior Tiffany Nilges lead the team, spiking 11, followed by Bedell’s six kills. The Hawkeyes also improved their hitting percentage, finishing with .179 against the Badgers.

Although the Hawkeyes left Madison, Wis., with a loss, head coach Sharon Dingman said she was pleased with Iowa’s performance but hopes her team can continue to improve.

"We’re young, and we have to learn how to win these matches," Dingman said in a release. "But the only way to learn how to win is to start winning. I think we played as well as I’ve seen us play in a long time, and I feel good about the effort, but we have to expect better results."

— by Molly Irene Olmstead