Four to be inducted to Kinnick Media Wall of Fame

Longtime athletics communications staff member Phil Haddy is one of four members of the local media to be inducted into the Kinnick Stadium Media Wall of Fame, according to a release on Thursday.

The four media members have all covered Hawkeye athletics during the past 40 years, and they will be inducted Sept. 16-17. The group will be honored on the field at Kinnick Stadium before Iowa’s home football game against Pittsburgh on Sept. 16.

Haddy joined the Iowa staff as an assistant sports-information director in 1971, and he has aided several Hawkeye sports in the 41 years since then. A graduate of Iowa, he became the third sports information director in school history in 1993 and held the position through 2010.

As part of his phased retirement, Haddy now serves as the special assistant to the Iowa football team, and he will officially step down sometime this school year.

Haddy is the longest-serving member of a Big Ten sports information office, and his 41 years is third-longest tenure in the conference’s history.

Other inductees include Associated Press writer Chuck Schoffner, who covered Iowa events from 1972-2005, former Waterloo Courier sportswriter and Editor Kevin Evans, who covered the Hawkeyes from 1965-2006, and current KCRG-TV sports director John Campbell.

Campbell’s present stint at KCRG, which began 32 years ago, coincided with Hayden Fry’s hiring as Iowa’s head football coach.

The inaugural class of 20 members to the Media Wall of Fame was in 2006, the same year the Brechler Press Box opened following renovations to Kinnick Stadium. The Wall of Fame is located in the media section of the press box.

— by Matt Cozzi