Big Ten to tour new championship trophy

A mobile RV tour will bring the new Big Ten Football championship trophy to each conference campus this season, the league announced on Monday.

The “Honoring Legends. Building Leaders.” Mobile Tour will leave the Big Ten offices in Illinois on Wednesday and spend each weekend — Thursday through Saturday — this season with a different conference school.

The bus will visit Iowa City on Oct. 15 for the Hawkeyes’ matchup with Northwestern on Black and Gold Spirit Day. The tour will also be in Minneapolis when Iowa plays the Gophers on Oct. 29.

Fans will be able to take pictures with the newly minted and as yet-unrevealed Stagg-Paterno Championship Trophy. The tour will also involve other, undisclosed “interactive activities” and on-site TVs for fans to watch various Big Ten games.

Each Big Ten school also selected a student to report on the events surrounding the tour. Fans can vote on their favorite reporter after the season, and the winner will attend either the Big Ten football championship game in Indianapolis or the Big Ten bowl game of her or his choice.

Iowa’s representative is senior Michele Danno, a former Daily Iowan sportswriter and current contributor to HawkeyeSports.com. She will report on the tour’s blog (bigten.org/blog/mobile-tour), Twitter page (@B1GMobileTour), and YouTube channel (YouTube.com/B1GMobileTour).

— by Seth Roberts