IC police search for burglary suspect

Iowa City police officers responded to a Davenport Street residence after a burglary in progress was reported at 9:15 p.m. Wednesday.

When the officers arrived, the suspect had already fled the scene, according to a police press release. The release said the female adult resident said she walked out of her bedroom and saw the suspect standing in the dining room. As she approached the man, he fled out the back door, and she ran after him, police said.

She noticed him clutching her purse and continued to chase the man, while yelling for him to stop.

Upon reaching to the Mercy Hospital area, the man tried to hide in the bushes.

The woman confronted the man, and he allegedly attempted to punch her in the face. The man then proceeded to run again, told her to stop chasing him and that he had a gun, police said.

The resident then stopped the chase and returned to her residence to call the police. At some point during the chase, the man dropped the purse, police said.

The report said officers believe the man may have entered the residence through an unlocked door, where at the time two residents were home, with the lights on, listening to music.

Police describe the suspect as an African American male, 5-10 and 160 pounds. He appeared to be around 50, police said.

Iowa City Area CrimeStoppers — 358-TIPS (8477) — is offering a $1,000 reward for information leading to an arrest.

— by Brittany Till