Prime Time rankings shaken up

Another week of Prime Time League basketball has come and gone, and The Daily Iowan brings another round of league rankings. A series of upsets this week means that, for the first time all summer, there are substantial changes in the rankings — although no one should be surprised about the No. 1 team.

1. Coach’s Corner/Two Rivers (5-1)

Anthony Hubbard’s squad suffered its first loss of the season on Sunday, but it remains at the top of the rankings because it has the league’s best record. Hubbard and Northern Iowa’s Anthony James are a excellent one-two punch, averaging a combined 43.3 points per game, and they have an outstanding supporting cast made up of Chip Rank, Alex Novak, and Chris Olivier.

Coach’s Corner has also secured the No. 1 seed and first-round bye in the playoffs, which will begin July 17.

Last Week: No. 1

2. Armstrong/Kroeger (3-3)

Armstrong is the only team to beat Coach’s Corner so far, and the Boys in Black won by a comfortable margin (107-96). Zach McCabe and Ali Farokhmanesh combined for 58 points in the win, a vast improvement on their already impressive average of 39.5 points.

The team is also getting solid contributions from Eric Washpun and Tucker Wentzien, who are averaging 14.3 and 13.5 points per game, respectively.

Last Week: No. 3

3. Ready Mix/Vinton (3-3)

The comeback team of the summer, Ready Mix won two-straight games to get back to .500 after languishing near last place for most of the season. No. 1 draft pick Bryce Cartwright is averaging 18.8 points and 7.2 assists per game after missing the first contest of the year, and the team has benefited from his leadership on the floor.

The team doesn’t have a solid second leading scorer, but it has received contributions from different players each week.

Last Week: No. 5

4. Falbo/Culver’s (3-3)

Two-straight losses have dropped Falbo to No. 4, but it won’t stay that low for long.

Matt Gatens and Melsahn Basabe make up arguably the best duo in the league, averaging a combined 54 points per game. They also have a great third option in incoming freshman Aaron White, who is chipping in 18 points per contest.

The team is loaded with firepower, and as long at the Big Three continues playing at a high level, Falbo will be a dangerous team to meet in the playoffs.

Last Week: No. 2

5. Monica’s/Pelling (2-4)

Monica’s finally ended its four-game losing streak by beating No. 6 McCurry’s/Gatens on Sunday, and — surprise — it was because of defense. The team held its opponent under 88 points for the first time all season, conceding just 76 points.

Roy Devyn Marble is playing out of his mind, averaging a league-best 29 points per game, and he has scored 30 or more points in half of his games. Anthony Lee is a great second option, averaging 17.5 points.

The team is much better than its record indicates, and the win should help Monica’s to pick up momentum heading into the playoffs.

Last Week: No. 6

6. McCurry’s/Gatens (2-4)

McCurry’s loss to Monica’s dropped it to 2-4 and tied for last place in the standings, but all is not lost for the team.

Eric May continues to spoil Iowa fans with his athleticism while averaging 22.8 points per game.

Andrew Brommer is rounding into form after knee surgery, and he is averaging 11 points in two games.

The team lacks consistent scoring after May, which hurt its chances all season, but if May can get solid contribution from Brommer in the playoffs, the pair will be tough to beat.

Last Week: No. 4

Player of the Week: Bryce Cartwright

Cartwright led his team to two wins this week to get his team back to .500, and he has done a great job of shouldering the bulk of the scoring without alienating his team. He had 15 points and 8 assists against Falbo on July 5 in arguably the team’s best win of the season.

The DI’s Prime Time rankings will be published every Tuesday. Teams are ranked by overall record, and tiebreakers are decided by record over the past two games.