Iowa athletics employees drive vehicles donated by car dealers

At least 57 members of the Iowa Athletics Department, including coaches and their spouses, drive vehicles donated by car dealers, according to information obtained by the Associated Press. The university said it doesn’t have any information about the cars driven by 10 employees, including wrestling coach Tom Brands and baseball coach Jack Dahm, news organizations reported on Tuesday.

Associate Athletics Director Rick Klatt told the AP that the employees hadn’t submitted quarterly paperwork about their vehicles. Grounds superintendent Ted Thorn, however, said he had reported driving his donated Chevrolet Impala and didn’t know why the university didn’t know about the car.

Both Thorn and Dahm told the AP they would submit the information today.

The Iowa athletics program gives a credit to dealers who donate vehicles, a deal that helps the dealers qualify for better tickets to sporting events. The cars are free, but employees pay for insurance, maintenance, and gas.

Similar relationships exist at several other Division-I schools as well, including Ohio State. The university in Columbus, Ohio, has made headlines in recent weeks for its investigation of car purchases by Buckeye football players.

Ohio State dropped its investigation earlier this week, though, and announced it was unlikely that the athletes in question had violated NCAA regulations.

— by Seth Roberts