Supervisors issue letter over missed deadlines

The Johnson County Board of Supervisors plan to send a letter to the contractor in charge of several projects related to the Health and Human Services Building after a series of missed deadlines.

At an informal meeting on May 5, the supervisors agreed to have the County Attorney’s Office write a letter informing Tricon Contractors that legal action will be taken if work is not completed in a timely manner.

“This has gone on long enough. I’m ready to say, ‘You didn’t meet the deadline; we are ready to take further legal action,’ ” said Supervisor Sally Stutsman.

Three main projects remain, and consist of replacing concrete sections of sidewalk on Lafayette Street, concrete work in the parking ramp, and replacing a dozen windows that are starting to splotch and stain.

The concrete issues will likely be taken care of by next week, said Dave Kempf, the county’s facilities manager. But he said he had doubts about the glass being finished in that time.

Supervisors had discussed taking legal action at previous meetings in mid-April, and they said they were tired of not seeing the projects being seen through.

“We are at a point where we need to issue them a letter,” said Supervisor Rod Sullivan.

— by Katie Heine