India named Big Ten Golfer of the Year

After capping a successful senior campaign as the eighth-ranked player in the nation according to Golfstat, Iowa senior Vince India was chosen as the Big Ten Golfer of the Year on Monday.

India also won the coveted Les Bolstad Award on Sunday, awarded to the golfer in the Big Ten Conference with the lowest scoring average for the season.

India earned top-15 finishes in all nine stroke-play tournaments this season, winning three of them.

India is only the second Iowa golfer to win the award. Brad Klapprott also won the award in 1992.

"Vince had an amazing year, and all his hard work has paid off," head coach Mark Hankins said. "Big Ten Player of the Year is an outstanding award in a great conference for golf; it really shows how well [Vince] played this year."

Joining India as an All-Big Ten first-team selection was senior Brad Hopfinger. On the second team was Hawkeye junior Chris Brant, who finished as the runner-up in the Big Ten championship.

Brant was also recognized as the team’s recipient of the Big Ten Sportsmanship Award.

"It was an all-around year for Iowa Hawkeye men’s golf," Hankins said. "[These awards] show the team depth and overall season consistency that these guys have shown."