City Circle to perform musical about love

Many tales of people finding their “one true love” exist only in films, books, and television shows.

And the City Circle Acting Company of Coralville is here to show that theater productions can be added to the mix.

A Little Night Music shows a romantic adventure using song, dance, and interaction on stage.

A Little Night Music will take the stage at 7:30 p.m. Friday at the Englert Theatre, 221 E. Washington St. Performances will continue at 7:30 p.m. Saturday and 2 p.m. Feb. 27. Admission is $15 for seniors and students, $20 for the general public.

The musical follows people who are with the wrong partners and the paths they take to find “the one.”

The North European piece has an old feel that is light and charming. The production is staged elegantly, yet has risqué and unexpected parts, somewhat like the holiday that just passed.

“I’m treating it like a Valentine’s for grown-ups,” said director Patrick DuLaney.

He chose to direct A Little Night Music because he enjoys the piece’s humor and music. But in the eyes of music director Jason Sifford, the show also offers “colorful orchestra parts.”

Sifford is in charge of playing the piano at rehearsals and warming up the singers. He also recruited the orchestra, which comprises 16 musicians, with the help of Ed Kottick, the orchestra liaison for City Circle. During the performance, Sifford is the conductor.

The orchestra is made up of students, retired musicians, and local professionals. Some of the musicians perform for fun, others are City Circle regulars.

“They really enjoy the chance to play,” Sifford said.

Not only do the musicians enjoy performing, the cast does as well. Josh Sazon plays Frederik, a lascivious old man going after a woman half his age.

“It’s very much unlike what I’ve ever done,” he said.

UI sophomore Ramya Hipp is excited to get back into acting after a two-year break. She plays the role of Mrs. Nordstrom, a soprano in the quintet. The character changes throughout the play — at the beginning, she doesn’t know what’s going on, but by the end she is in love.

Makayla Phillips, 13, plays the character Fredrika, who wants to answer every question she has about the world and romance. She finds the musical to be educational.

“It’s really fun to be learning and getting experience from everyone older than me,” she said.

The musical is almost all waltz but still has enough elements to give a large amount of variety.

“We are fortunate to have kick-ass musicians pulling it off quite nicely,” DuLaney said.

With all A Little Night Music has to offer — from a romantic plot to a grand orchestra — DuLaney said he believes the musical will be a great date show.

“You’ll walk out holding hands,” he said.