Kate Nash comes to Englert

Kate Nash was like most teenagers when she first discovered music. Loathing school and finding herself amid changes, music became the first place for her to take solace at during her "awkward" stage of life.

"I used to buy tapes and listen to them with head phones," she said in her smooth British accent. "As a teen, music becomes really important to you. You don’t want to be at school; you’re sitting in your room pretending to be doing homework."

Now 22, Nash is touring the States and playing music of her own. Today, she will visit Iowa City for the first time, performing at the Englert Theatre, 221 E. Washington St. The show begins at 8 p.m.; tickets are $18 for general admission, $14 for students.

The singer/songwriter has released two albums. Her more recent, My Best Friend Is You, has been successful in both the UK and the United States. She’s matured into a style that is bold and provocative but delivered in a way that emulates the girl-groups of Motown.

Nash said she likes to write about relationships and independence while maintaining a sense of humor about it. She also finds inspiration out of the mundane.

"There are really cool things in the ordinary parts of life," she said. "I either feel really happy and want to write something silly and fun or really angry and pissed and want to get something out of my system. Sometimes, you just get the urge to write."

While touring the States, she said, she’s made friends on the road, which makes for fun reunions when she returns to play cities.

"[The biggest challenge is] feeling satisfied with the work that you do," she said. "You always judge yourself."

The musician said she’s excited to visit a new place — Iowa City, and SCOPE and the Englert have partnered to host Nash. Katie Harrington, the SCOPE graphic-design coordinator, said the venue is the perfect match for Nash.

"She’s supposed to be an amazing performer," Harrington said. "I just think that a singer/songwriter style that she has matches that venue really well. It’s always cool to go to different venues we haven’t had shows in recently."

Generally, SCOPE hosts its concerts through the university at the IMU. This performance at the Englert provides a different atmosphere than past shows.

"Its going to be a unique experience," Harrington said. "A British singer/song writer in Iowa City, that’s going to make a cool atmosphere."