Three-Peat for Show Stoppaz

For the third year in a row, the Show Stoppaz were able to take the women’s intramural flag football crown, this time knocking off the Cinderella of the playoffs, Blackout, in the Bubble on Monday night, 26-12.

“Winning it for the third year in a row feels awesome,” senior Kelsey Jenn said. “Plus to do it with all of the same team members all three years is incredible.”

Although the Show Stoppaz came into the game as reigning champs, Blackout brought pressure early to put the squad back on its heels. Because of that pressure, it was not long into their first drive that the Show Stoppaz made a mistake — an interception — giving Blackout tremendous field position.

Blackout was able to capitalize as Betsy Hood ran in for the first score of the game to put her team up early, 6-0.

Blackout continued to pressure Show Stoppaz and forced it to punt on next possession, but Show Stoppaz demonstrated its experience by pulling together and stop a quick score.

“We just needed to relax and get comfortable,” said Show Stoppaz’s Anna Schmitz. “ When they scored first, we knew we had to buckle down and come back.”

In the second quarter, Schmitz was able to rally her team, and her team dominated the rest of the game.

Schmitz adapted to Blackout’s pressure by scrambling and running for big gains. She showed off her arm strength, too. Schmitz threw to Amy Carlson a first down that put Show Stoppaz in a threatening position.

Soon, Schmitz once again made a play, running into the end zone to tie the game at 6. She threw to Christine Bloyer for two big plays on the next drive, too. Only a couple of plays later the same connection worked for a touchdown and put the Show Stoppaz up at halftime, 13-6.

Something had to change for Blackout if it was going to keep it close in the second half.

“In the first [quarter], we seemed more relaxed, but in the second, when it got closer, we got a bit tense,” said Chelsey Pence of Blackout.

Blackout came out strong in the second half, producing a long drive and seeming as though it made the changes it needed to tie the game. Yet, when that drive was cut short by a Katelyn McCunniff interception, Blackout looked like it had no more answers for a tough Show Stoppaz defense.

Blackout tried to return to the pressure it place on Schmitz in the first quarter, but Show Stoppaz was able to score again and entered the third quarter ahead, 19-6.

In the final frame, Blackout found a small spark of life when Molly Hood scored to bring the team within seven points, 19-12.

Even with a late scare from Blackout, Show Stoppaz were able to keep the game under control when it scored again, shutting down a Blackout comeback attempt.

“Blackout played a great game,” Jenn said. “But we realized how badly we wanted to win, and I think that was the difference for us.”