Three ex-Hawks to be inducted into wrestling Hall of Fame

Three former Iowa wrestlers will be inducted into the Glen Brand Wrestling Hall of Fame of Iowa in the Class of 2011. The induction ceremony is scheduled for April 16, 2011.

Bill Zadick, Doug Schwab, and Joe Scarpello will all enter the hall. Zadick won the 142-pound title in 1996, and he was a two-time All-American. He also won the 2006 World Championships in 2006 at 145.5 pounds, and he now serves as the freestyle developmental coach and assistant national freestyle coach for USA Wrestling.

Schwab won the 141-pound championship in 1999, and he was a three-time All-American. He also placed second in 2001 and third in 2000. He is the head wrestling coach at Northern Iowa after a four-year stint as a Hawkeye assistant coach.

Scarpello was a two-time NCAA champion and four-time All-American. He won his titles in 1947 and 1950 and placed second in 1949 and third in 1948. Scarpello was Iowa’s first two-time NCAA champion, and he becomes the first person to be inducted into two halls of fame at the National Wrestling Hall of Fame Dan Gable Museum.

Five former Hawkeye wrestlers — Brent Metcalf, Mark Perry, Jay Borschel, Dan LeClere, and John Bowlsby — were nominated by committee members and will be placed on next year’s ballot for the first time.

— by J.T. Bugos