College Republicans chairwoman: Same goals, different means for GOP and Dems

Last week, the University of Iowa College Republicans hosted “Conservative Coming Out Week” around campus. Throughout the week, we had many promotional events with the purpose of showing fellow conservatives on campus that we do exist. After sending out an e-mail inviting the entire university community, we received more than 50 e-mails calling us racists, hypocrites, and Nazi fascists who will burn in hell. These vile responses need to end.

Demonizing the other party through name-calling only further entrenches feelings of disdain for the other side. No rational Democrat or Republican would compare George Bush or Barack Obama to Hitler, but a simple Google image search shows the somber reality that both sides have representation in this naïve use of First Amendment rights. Make no mistake, Republicans and Democrats have very different means to accomplish the same goals, but the goals are based on the accepted premise that America is a truly exceptional place and her future prosperity and survival must be ensured.

I was born and raised in Iowa City, and learned at a young age that my political views were not the same as most of my peers. I decided to embrace it. I will not apologize for the principles of small government, strong defense, and lower taxes. I was raised to work extremely hard, listen to others, and to spend within my means; I believe our government should be held to the same standards.

Currently, we have a one-party control in every level of government — from the Johnson County supervisors to the Iowa Legislature and the governor to Congress and the president. We have voted for and created an extremely one-sided voice in our government.

This November, we have the opportunity to balance the scale. I am not asking you to vote for the Republican or the Democrat; I’m asking you to educate yourself on the candidates. Our government officials need to realize that they are elected to represent us, the people — and not their party. The Iowa City Council needs to realize that the students are a major part of this city and that they have a voice that should be heard. Rep. Dave Loebsack, D-Iowa, needs to realize that he our voice in Congress and not House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s. Iowa Gov. Chet Culver needs to realize that he is supposed to represent hard-working Iowans and not pander to the unions and gambling industry.

Sen. Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, is a great example of a man who stands up for his state, rather than just his party. Last week, he was the lone Republican on the Senate Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry Committee to vote in favor of strengthening regulations on financial derivatives.

During “Conservative Coming Out Week,” we faced a vast amount of opposition, but that did not deter us from seeking an open, bipartisan discussion. We wholeheartedly commend the University Democrats for taking a stand against such attacks as we all enjoyed lighthearted competition in the name of unity — after all, we are all Hawkeyes. We all understand that nothing is ever accomplished by aimless screams of attack.

Now is the time for us to demand logical, common-sense, bipartisan solutions from our elected leaders. America has accomplished too much and has too many great things left to do in this world to be defeated by an uneducated electorate that blindly votes “D” or “R.” Step outside your comfort zone. Challenge your most sacred beliefs. Open your mind to new ideas. You and the country we love will be better for it. These ideas and more are discussed at each and every College Republican meeting; come see what all the fuss is about.

Natalie Ginty is chairwoman of the UI College Republicans.