Panel sends boundary-change recommendations to board

Iowa City School District redistricting committee members on Tuesday evening voted to send three boundary-change recommendations to the School Board.

A majority of committee members agreed to recommend a new scenario presented by RSP & Associates consultants.

The new option includes sending students at Wickham Elementary and Lincoln Elementary to City High instead of West High, and students at Twain Elementary to West instead of City.

But some members said they were concerned the move would lead to unsafe driving conditions for high-school students moving from the Wickham area, 601 Oakdale Blvd., to City High, 1900 Morningside Drive.

Others said the new scenario would help balance the numbers of high-school students receiving free and reduced lunches.

The committee also recommended a scenario including plans for a third high school. Officials estimated operational costs for this plan as roughly $1.2 million to $1.3 million. The plan would also include an addition to Shimek Elementary.

Committee members did not reach a consensus regarding an elementary school-related recommendation. They instead agreed officials should reconsider options that could more evenly balance young students receiving free and reduced lunches.

The committee will meet with the School Board on April 8 to present the recommendations.

— by Holly Hines