Students find new groups at organization fair

Some students learned on Tuesday that bars and parties aren’t the only way to have fun at the UI.

The Student Organization Fair, which officials hold each semester, provides an opportunity for students to explore different ways to become involved on campus.

“This fair is the perfect way to tickle my fancy,” said UI freshman Evan Iacone.

Approximately 93 different groups were at Tuesday’s fair to show off what their groups had to offer, said Kristi Finger, the assistant director of student organizations and the main organizer of the event.

Between 500 and 800 students visited the fair throughout the day, she said.

“The fair was definitely worth my time,” UI freshman Sean Tavakoli said.

Students who attended the event said they were happy to be handed free candy and beverages as they browsed through the sea of student organizations.

“This is a good idea because many students already spend a lot on school books and liquid fun,” UI freshman Brett O’Connor said.

The fair featured a wide variety of groups, including greek organizations, intramural sports, and special-interest groups.

While around 100 different organizations were present, the UI has more than 450 student organizations recognized by academic colleges or departments, according to the Office of Student Life.

The Student Organization Fair has been around for at least a decade, Finger said. Having organized several fairs in the past, she said, she didn’t struggle making the fair a successful one.

“I’ve been doing it long enough that it’s pretty much routine as far as just notifying all the groups that it is happening,” she said. “I’ve got a great office that helps me get everything organized and ready to go.”

UI junior Jacob Rosenberg said he saw a successful turnout for promoting his organization.

Rosenberg, a co-president of UI Democrats, has been involved with on-campus clubs since his sophomore year and has represented his group at the event two times before.

“I like this because you get to meet new people, a lot of freshmen and sophomores who don’t really know much about clubs,” he said.