Favre’s Favorites wins dodge-ball title

The idea of Minnesota Viking quarterback Brett Favre facing comedian Bob Saget in a sporting event is most likely impossible.

But in UI intramural sports, anything can happen.

The matchup became a reality at the Field House on Thursday evening when Favre’s Favorites faced Team Bob Saget in the intramural dodge-ball championship in the best game since Average Joes played Globo Gym in Dodge Ball: A True Underdog Story.

Despite struggling in the final matches, Favre’s Favorites held on to defeat Team Bob Saget, 10-7. Extremely fast-paced, each championship match lasted no longer than two minutes.

Also the All-University champion in intramural flag-football, the Favre’s Favorites players showed they also have what it takes on the dodge-ball court.

The squad — made up of seniors Derek Johnson, Nick McCoy, Jed Seward, and A.J. Palash — knows what it takes to win titles. This is the second-consecutive season Johnson has been a dodge-ball champ, and McCoy has also won the event three different times.

Johnson said he doesn’t play dodge ball or any other intramural sports for the titles.

“It’s just a lot of fun,” he said. “I like throwing balls at people in proximity.”

Getting to the title game was no easy task for either squad. Both faced tough semifinal matchups.

Several calls came into question during Team Bob Saget’s semi-final game. The opposing squad, Trojan +1, got into numerous arguments with the Team Bob Saget players regarding calls during the game.

Without any referees, the players are left to officiate on their own, opening the door for potential arguments.

But Johnson said there normally aren’t many arguments on the court.

“Sometimes you just need to stop and talk about it really quick,” he said. “If one person sees it one way, and another guy sees it another way, then we just talk it out. It’s usually no big deal.”

Team Bob Saget overcame the arguments to defeat Trojan +1, 10-8, and Favre’s Favorites beat Hit Squad in its semifinal, 10-7.

Favre’s Favorites jumped out to an early 8-3 lead in the championship game thanks to great dodging skills. But Team Bob Saget stormed back to win four matches in a row with the aid of solid play from seniors Aaron Friederick and Weston Dunlap.

“They played tough in those final matches,” McCoy said. “But we dug deep and fought back to win it. I’m proud of the way we played.”

One of the keys to Favre’s Favorites success was starting with two of the three dodge balls at the beginning of each match. The winner of the prior match gets the advantage of starting the next game with two.

Friederick said it was nearly impossible to mount a comeback when his team only had one ball throughout many of the matches. Favre’s Favorites stuck to the strategy of trying to get Team Bob Saget to throw the ball first, leaving Team Bob Saget at a huge disadvantage.

Team Bob Saget player Weston Slater summarized the title game best.

“The ball just didn’t bounce our way,” he said.