Hoopsters to play exhibition

On Nov. 8, the Iowa men’s basketball team will play an exhibition game at Carver-Hawkeye Arena against the Marian University Knights of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics. Tip-off is scheduled for 12:30 p.m.

The contest will be the annual Miracle Game played at the start of the season and presented by the Children’s Miracle Network.

According to a release sent out earlier this week, Iowa’s projected starting five will consist of senior guard Devan Bawinkel, junior forward Jarryd Cole, sophomores Matt Gatens and Aaron Fuller, and freshman guard Cully Payne.

During a press conference on Wednesday, Iowa head coach Todd Lickliter said the exhibition contest is a chance to evaluate where the Hawkeyes stand before their regular season gets underway, adding that no scouting report would be given until after Sunday’s game.

“We will take that tape, break it down and say, ‘If we were going to present a scouting report to you, this would be what the emphasis would be,’ ” Lickliter said. “Out emphasis initially will be on our play.”

After the weekend tilt with Marian, the Hawkeyes will have a week to prepare for their regular season-opener, on Nov. 15 in Carver-Hawkeye Arena against Texas-San Antonio.

— by Brendan Stiles