Tracks from the Past: Firehouse

Firehouse: Firehouse

Grunge rock exploded on the popular-music scene in the 1990s. Inadvertently, this new musical trend spelled out the death of many ’80s hair bands that were just starting to come down from their Aqua Net heyday. Firehouse, a band which many consider to fall into the “hair” category, managed to emerge in the changing rock-music climate and be a major success with the 1990 release of its self-titled début album.

Firehouse gave the band, as well as the genre it represented, a more down-to-earth look and sound while keeping the pop-metal edge that made many bands before them hugely successful. Firehouse has often been credited for being a bit more “real” than its neon spandex, makeup-wearing brethren. The band also has its fair share of mushy power ballads, which music fans of the day seemed to eat up.

Firehouse’s self-titled album has gone two times platinum since its initial release, and produced four singles that are a huge part of how most people know the band. “Love of a Lifetime” was the album’s highest-charting single, peaking at No. 5. Over its two decades of existence, Firehouse has managed to remain relevant and true to itself, still able to play the classics, as well as new tracks to fans young and old.

— by Rebecca Koons