Tips for the perfect pumpkin

It’s the Great Pumpkin, Iowa City. Here are some pumpkin carving tips.

• There’s no need to pumpkin hunt like Linus and Lucy this Halloween. The best pumpkins can usually be found at the local orchard (try Wilson’s Orchard, 2924 Orchard Lane) or grocery store (Hy-Vee usually has a good crop).

• When picking out the perfect pumpkin for your haunting jack-o-lantern, bigger is not better. The ideal size for most carving stencils, whether purchased or homemade, is medium. Larger pumpkins can typically be used for sophisticated designs to use as centerpieces. Pumpkins of a smaller stature can be used for facial designs only and can be completed in no time at all. For average freestyle carving, the pumpkin should be tall and narrow.

• While pumpkin shopping, the best strategy is to have a design idea in mind. This will give a mental picture of the sizes and shapes of pumpkins you need to purchase.

• Consider color and texture. Uniformly orange pumpkins are best because they are ripe and lack any bruises, cuts, or nicks. The pumpkin should also be examined for scratches, dents, or gouges. Minimal damages equal a longer life. The pumpkin should have a smooth texture and be close to the contours of the pattern you plan to carve.

• To begin carving, first cut out a lid at the top of the pumpkin and hollow out the pumpkin pulp and seeds. A small notch should be placed on the back of the lid, not only to remind you where the lid should be positioned but allow smoke to get away if you are using a candle as a light source. When using stencils to carve, place the stencil on the preferred part of the pumpkin and secure it with tape or fastenings. Next, use any form of a sharp utensil such as a knife or pin to pierce an outline into the pumpkin through the pattern. Then simply remove the stencil and connect the piercings.

• Light up your lantern by cutting out the bottom the same as you’d cut out the top. Clean the bottom piece, then place the light source on it. Place the pumpkin atop, and no worries about using the pumpkin stem as the handle.

• Don’t want to carve pumpkins all by your lonesome? Have a “great pumpkin” party with your friends. Simple patterns that carving neophytes can easily accomplish include bats, cat faces, ghosts, and the typical menacing “jack,” but there’s nothing better than bonding over pumpkin guts and sharing your pop-cultural capital through carving haunted icons such as Rob Zombie and Vincent Price (“30 Rock” fans might even attempt a Werewolf Bar-Mitzvah).

— by Hanna Rosman