UI Student Health builds fitness foundation

Freshmen can now better avoid gaining their destined 15 pounds.

In fact, all UI students can focus on slowly transitioning into a healthier lifestyle with the help of UI Student Health’s new program, the Two-Week Health Challenge.

Starting this semester, students can register for the program to focus on a single, realistic health goal they can reach in the brief time span.

Around 40 students have signed up for the challenge, with roughly 10 completing their goals so far, said Amy Fletcher, a program associate in Student Health Service who developed the UI’s program, noting she thinks that number will jump once the office can more aggressively publicize it.

Those who achieve their goals in two weeks receive small prizes, such as a stress ball or knapsack, but those involved said the real reward is the satisfaction of knowing their health goals can be accomplished.

UI junior Emily Ambrosy, who recently completed the program, said she chose to focus on stress management, trying to sleep 7 to 8 hours each night.

“The other objectives were already applied in my daily routine, and I knew that sleep was very important,” she said.

But not every goal is as relaxing. Other potential targets include running a mile each day or incorporating healthier foods into your diet, Fletcher said.

Ambrosy said she felt the two-week period was a perfect length of time, noting it allows students to try out a fitness aspect without a long-term commitment.

Throughout the two weeks, workers at Health Iowa — the student-oriented branch of the UI’s three main health departments — send e-mails to students encouraging them to keep up with their goal.

“A person’s confidence in herself and readiness level are assessed and reinforced by the amazing Health Iowa team,” Ambrosy said.

Iowa State University has a similar program, Students 2 Students, where certified students lead peers in physical exercises.

Fletcher said the UI’s challenge appeals to students and their busy schedules.

“It is short and easy to commit to,” she said. “It is important to let students know not to do too much before they are ready. It’s OK to start with a walk on campus if a student isn’t ready to go to the gym but is still inspired to participate in physical activity.”

Fletcher said she plans to continue the program throughout the year as long as students are interested.