Local FEMA office benefits flood-recovery process

A new Federal Emergency Management Agency and Iowa Homeland Security office in Iowa City is helping the UI with roughly 250 flood-recovery projects.

UI officials said the new location, funded by federal disaster-relief money and situated on Gilbert Street, has increased organization regarding the university’s flood-recovery progress.

The first plans officials will tackle are for Art Building West and the IMU, said Donna Pearcy, the chief risk officer for the UI Risk Management Office.

Having a federal assistance team set up in a long-term location with close access to university officials will help the recovery process run more smoothly, Pearcy said.

“Already we’re seeing communication improved,” she said.

The recovery process entails numerous steps.

First, officials from UI Facilities Management and the Risk Management Office examine details about rebuilding, taking into consideration the costs and flood-prevention measures, Pearcy said.

Officials often contact potential occupants of the UI buildings to ensure precision in their planning, she said.

After choosing the best option, officials submit the plans to the FEMA/Homeland Security office for review.

FEMA staff ensures the plans are eligible for grants and carry a reasonable price tag, Pearcy said.

The review process for the project worksheets continues at the state level, after which UI officials must garner approval from federal officials before advancing.

“You have a lot of info and detail, and people have to agree on that detail,” Pearcy said.

The entire process could take two years or more, said Vincent Clark, a FEMA public information officer. He said the office will likely remain open in Iowa City until most of the local recovery projects are completed.

“It made sense to set up satellite offices,” Clark said, noting others were opened in Des Moines, Cedar Rapids, and Davenport.

UI spokesman Tom Moore said the office has helped make the planning process run smoothly.

“We know everyone is anxious to get back to their facilities,” he said.

Rod Lehnertz, UI Facilities Management’s director of planning, design, and construction, said the new office will likely expedite the process.

“We felt we needed that extra on-site attendance of FEMA,” he said.

Lehnertz said officials have garnered advice from architects and historical experts to produce thorough flood-recovery solutions.