PAULA shouldn’t hurt Shipley, most agree

Though one candidate vying for the Iowa City City Council has a record of alcohol-related offenses, many agree it likely won’t have an impact on his candidacy.

UI senior Jeff Shipley, also the UI Student Government liaison, is the only candidate who has been charged with a criminal offense other than speeding, according to Iowa Courts Online.

Shipley was charged with PAULA and being underage in a bar after 10 p.m. in 2006, his freshman year at the UI. The same year, police cited Shipley for unlawful use of an ID and PAULA, but both charges were dismissed, records show.

The 21-year-old said his history with downtown Iowa City and the police shouldn’t be a deterrent for voters.

“It hasn’t been an issue yet,” he said. “A lot of students get PAULAs. I don’t think it’s anything.”

Shipley said the tickets give him a “unique experience” of being able to relate with students’ concerns on drinking issues. He said he received tickets while rushing for a fraternity, when others encouraged him to go downtown.

Iowa City uses the state’s election forms, which don’t require background checks, to accept candidates, said City Clerk Marian Karr. The process hasn’t been a problem in the past, she said.

Current councilors said they believe residents will be mostly indifferent toward someone with a record like Shipley’s.

“I think everybody views those kinds of backgrounds differently,” said Mayor Regenia Bailey. “It makes a lot of sense to take that into consideration, though.”

Councilor Mike Wright agreed, adding opinions on the tickets will depend on the voter.

“Some people won’t care, and some will think it’s significant,” he said.

Alcohol is consistently an issue for the City Council.

In the past year, the council has attempted to decrease underage and binge drinking in Iowa City by implementing a liquor-license denial procedure based on PAULAs-per-police visit and a zoning ordinance preventing more bars from opening in the area.

And in 2007, a proposed ordinance to raise the bar-entry age to 21 was defeated, largely because of high UI student turnout.

Fellow council candidate Dan Tallon, a UI junior, said he doesn’t think a drinking ticket is enough to discard Shipley from the race, adding the charges are minor offenses.

Early voting sites are available this week on the UI campus. The election polls will close at 8 p.m. on Nov. 3.

Shipley, Tallon, Susan Mims, and Terry Dickens are the at-large candidates. Councilor Connie Champion is running for her fourth term as the District B councilor against Mark McCallum.